    SubjectRe: Handling of modular boards
    On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 11:09:45PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
    > On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 10:33:57PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
    > > On the other hand, some of the issues we're trying to solve here
    > > for the kernel are also present in the boot loader, so this needs to
    > > do this anyway - whether by inserting new or modifying (enabling or
    > > disabling) existing properties in the DT is not really relevant here.
    > FWIW if the bootloader can usefully handle this stuff I think that's a
    > good approach but there is substantial variation in quality of
    > implementation between bootloaders and even when the bootloader is a
    > good one it's not always practical to update it or the data it relies
    > on.

    I agree, the list of devices should be in the device-tree handed to
    whatever OS is being booted. It isn't a Linux specific problem that
    we're looking at here.

    Any operating system, pre-OS test suite, etc. is going going to need
    this information, and in my view the bootloader should be doing whatever
    is needed to create a device-tree to passed through to the next loaded

    Also, having the information available to $bootloader means the user
    can verify the presence of the peripherals before the OS is loaded.

    Ben Dooks,,

    Large Hadron Colada: A large Pina Colada that makes the universe disappear.

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-05-10 13:41    [W:0.024 / U:97.324 seconds]