    SubjectRe: mapped pagecache pages vs unmapped pages
    On 04/06/2012 08:29 AM, Alexey Ivanov wrote:

    > In progress of migration from FreeBSD to Linux and we found some strange behavior: periodically running tasks (like rsync/p2p deployment) evict mapped pages from memory.
    >
    > From my little research I've found following lkml thread:
    > https://lkml.org/lkml/2008/6/11/278
    > And more precisely this commit: https://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=4f98a2fee8acdb4ac84545df98cccecfd130f8db
    > which along with splitting LRU into "anon" and "file" removed support of reclaim_mapped.
    >
    > Is there a knob to prioritize mapped memory over unmapped (without modifying all apps to use O_DIRECT/fadvise/madvise or mlocking our data in memory) or at least some way to change proportion of Active(file)/Inactive(file)?

    Hi Alexey,

    Cc to linux-mm mailing list.

    I have met the similar problem and I have sent a mail to discuss it.
    Maybe it can help you
    (http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=132947026019538&w=2).

    Now Konstantin has sent a patch set to try to expand vm_flags from 32
    bit to 64 bit. Then we can add the new flag into vm_flags and
    prioritize mmaped pages in madvise(2).

    Regards,
    Zheng

      Last update: 2012-04-06 09:19    [W:0.021 / U:29.956 seconds]