    SubjectRe: [patch 0/2] cpusets, cpu_cgroup: disallow attaching kthreadd
    On Fri, 2012-04-06 at 08:52 -0700, Tejun Heo wrote:
    > Hello, David.
    >
    > On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 04:40:06PM -0700, David Rientjes wrote:
    > > Well, I'm fussing over it because the patch being considered unnecessary
    > > requires that kthreadd can't be moved anywhere and I know one company is
    > > trying to move in a direction where nothing is in the root memcg.
    >
    > "Nothing in the root memcg" can't be a goal in and of itself. You
    > want that to achieve some functional goal and I'm trying to say this
    > specific kthreadd change doesn't necessarily affect the goal - better
    > accounting - all that much. If root group is gonna be completely
    > empty otherwise, just combine information from it. Even if that
    > doesn't work, assigning specific kthreads to appropriate cgroups after
    > the creation wouldn't be too far off. I just don't see how relevant
    > it actually would be.
    >
    > If we want all controlles to play by the same rules, which is
    > necessary for having a unified hierarchy, I wanna keep those rules
    > simple. If bound kthreads in !root cgroups cause issues for some and
    > there aren't quite strong reasons to do otherwise, I would just
    > restrict them in the root. It's not like those kthreads are
    > cgroup-aware in any form anyway.
    >
    > I don't know. Just proceed without kthreadd in the root. If the
    > fallouts are big enough and can't be easily worked around, let's talk
    > then.

    Furthermore, the whole point of kthreadd's existence is so that we could
    create kthreads without context. Placing it in a cgroup will ensure all
    subsequently created kthreads do have context (including possible idle
    threads). This seems like a particularly bad idea.

      Last update: 2012-04-06 21:01    [W:4.507 / U:0.328 seconds]