    SubjectRe: Question: How to power-manage UART-attached devices.
    On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 23:33:22 +0100 Mark Brown
    <> wrote:

    > On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 08:22:09AM +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
    > > The question is how can user-space tell the kernel that these devices are
    > > 'inactive'?
    > > I would like to integrate this into Linux in the most "natural" way that I
    > > can but am having trouble. My current approach involves using "rfkill" but
    > > that doesn't work very well for reasons that are probably not very relevant
    > > here. It probably does make sense for powering the GPS antenna, but not
    > > much else.
    > The userspace consumer was added for users like this that live entirely
    > in userspace.

    Hi Mark,
    thanks for the reply.

    I assume you mean REGULATOR_VIRTUAL_CONSUMER (drivers/regulator/virtual.c)?

    The one where the Kconfig entry says:
    This is mainly useful for test purposes.

    That certainly was useful for test purposes but I want to move beyond

    One of the purposes of an operating system is to provide useful abstractions
    and hide irrelevant details, so I don't want user-space to have to
    explicitly enable a regulator.
    I could cope with an 'on/off switch' abstraction. It might then enable a
    regulator. In the case of the GPS device it would need to both enable a
    regulator and toggle a GPIO line. I really don't want user-space to "know"
    that it has to turn on a regulator and toggle a gpio line...

    So I'm still hoping for something more abstract.

      Last update: 2012-05-01 01:41    [W:0.021 / U:5.088 seconds]