    SubjectRe: [RFC] propagate gfp_t to page table alloc functions
    On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:48:29 +1000
    Nick Piggin <npiggin@gmail.com> wrote:

    > > Hmm, there are several places to use GFP_NOIO and GFP_NOFS even, GFP_ATOMIC.
    > > I believe it's not trivial now.
    >
    > They're all buggy then. Unfortunately not through any real fault of their own.

    There are gruesome problems in block/blk-throttle.c (thread "mempool,
    percpu, blkcg: fix percpu stat allocation and remove stats_lock"). It
    wants to do an alloc_percpu()->vmalloc() from the IO submission path,
    under GFP_NOIO.

    Changing vmalloc() to take a gfp_t does make lots of sense, although I
    worry a bit about making vmalloc() easier to use!

    I do wonder whether the whole scheme of explicitly passing a gfp_t was
    a mistake and that the allocation context should be part of the task
    context. ie: pass the allocation mode via *current. As a handy
    side-effect that would probably save quite some code where functions
    are receiving a gfp_t arg then simply passing it on to the next
    callee.

      Last update: 2012-04-24 23:33    [W:0.024 / U:28.956 seconds]