    SubjectRe: broken nouveau dependency on power supply

    > Ok, not that trivial...
    >
    > The problem is more like POWER_SUPPLY should be a bool, not a
    > tristate.
    >
    > If you think about it: you don't want things like nouveau to depend
    > on a
    > random subsystem like that, people will never get it. In fact,
    > POWER_SUPPLY provides empty inline stubs when not enabled, so that's
    > really designed to not have depends...
    >
    > However that -cannot- work if POWER_SUPPLY is modular and the drivers
    > who use it are not. The only fixes here that make sense I can think
    > of
    > that don't also involve Kconfig horrors are:
    >
    > - Ugly: in power_supply.h, use the extern variant if
    >
    > defined(CONFIG_POWER_SUPPLY) ||
    > (defined(CONFIG_POWER_SUPPLY_MODULE) && defined(MODULE))
    >
    > IE. use the stub if power supply is a module and what is being built
    > is
    > built-in. Of course that's not only ugly, it somewhat sucks from a
    > user
    > perspective as the subsystem now exists but can't be used by some
    > drivers...
    >
    > - Better: Just make the bloody thing a bool :-) The power supply
    > framework itself is small enough, just make it a boolean option and
    > avoid the problem entirely. The actual power supply sub drivers can
    > remain modular of course.

    We can just do select POWER_SUPPLY.

    Yes it reduces the option range for some stupid corner case but really I don't care, removing features from the kernel that a driver depends on is just leading to insane state combination and QA problems.

    Dave.

      Last update: 2012-04-02 11:05    [W:0.023 / U:35.880 seconds]