    SubjectRe: [NEW]: Introducing shrink_all_memory from user space
    On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 14:10:00 +0200
    richard -rw- weinberger <> wrote:

    > On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM, PINTU KUMAR <> wrote:
    > > Moreover, this is mainly meant for mobile phones where there is only *one* user.
    > I see. Jet another awful hack.
    > Mobile phones are nothing special. They are computers

    Correct - so if it is showing up useful situations then they are also
    useful beyond mobile phone.

    > Every program which is allowed to use this interface will (ab)use it.

    If you expose it to userspace then you would want it very tightly
    controlled and very much special case. Within the kernel using it
    internally within things like CMA allocators seems to make more sense.

    I think you overestimate the abuse. It's an interface which pushes clean
    pages that can be cheaply recovered out of memory. It doesn't guarantee
    the caller reaps the benefit of that, and the vm will continue to try and
    share out any new resource fairly.

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-04-18 22:37    [W:0.021 / U:12.728 seconds]