    SubjectRe: [git pull] vfs and fs fixes
    On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 03:08:26PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > Or I could increment that counter for all the conflicting operations and
    > > rely on it instead of the i_mutex. ?I was trying to avoid adding
    > > something like that (an inc, a dec, another error path) to every
    > > operation. ?And hoping to avoid adding another field to struct inode.
    > > Oh well.
    > We could just say that we can do a double inode lock, but then
    > standardize on the order. And the only sane order is comparing inode
    > pointers, not inode numbers like ext4 apparently does.
    > With a standard order, I don't think it would be at all wrong to just
    > take the inode lock on rename.

    In principle, yes, but have you tried to grep for i_mutex? Note that
    we have *another* place where multiple ->i_mutex might be held on
    non-directories (and unless I'm missing something, ext4 move_extent.c
    stuff doesn't play well with it): quota writes. Which can, AFAICS,
    happen while write(2) is holding ->i_mutex on a regular file. So
    it's not _that_ easy - we want something like "and quota file is goes
    last", since there we don't get to change the locking order - the first
    ->i_mutex is taken too far outside.

    I really don't like how messy i_mutex had become these days. Right now
    I'm staring at 700-odd lines all over the place where it's taken/released
    and it's a wastebucket lock - used to protect random bits and scraps, with a
    lot of filesystems, etc. using it for purposes of their own ;-/

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-04-18 22:37    [W:0.023 / U:3.916 seconds]