    SubjectRe: [RFC] IT87xx GPIO and other drivers
    On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò
    <> wrote:

    > The GPIO pins on most of the it87xx chips are also multi-function, and
    > _should not_ be user-visible, but for some of them it might make sense
    > to (for instance it should be possible to drive some of the LEDs on
    > it8728f-based motherboards by replacing the functions of some PINs to GPIO).
    > For what I can tell, it should probably be a good idea to have something
    > along these lines, but I'm _not_ a driver expert:
    >  - mfd-it87xx: a platform driver, which probes the superio to check it
    > to be an it87xx chip, and then reserve resources for the other drivers;
    >  - hwmon/it87: no longer probes autonomously for which chip it is, and
    > where it is;
    >  - it87_wdt: ibidem;
    >  - it8712_wdt: no clue about it, but I guess the same;
    >  - gpio-it87: ibidem again;
    >  - pinctrl-it87: abstracts support for the various pin-choice registers;
    >  - led-it87: possibly to drive the power/network/hdd leds, akin to what
    > happens with some laptops, and embedded systems.

    I would suggest merging gpio-it87 and pinctrl-it87 into one driver
    in drivers/pinctrl-it87.c. I don't know for sure however, since it depends
    on hardware: usually these is a tight dependence between GPIO and
    pinctrl (IIRC this was the case with SuperIO), and then it often makes
    a lot of sense to create a composite driver, in order to just have one
    state container (cookie) to pass around in the functions, and to remap
    a register range only once.

    The concept is explained in my pinctrl talk on a high level:

    Linus Walleij

      Last update: 2012-04-17 08:49    [W:0.083 / U:11.884 seconds]