    SubjectRe: toshiba-acpi: Portégé 3500 function keys broken since 2.6.33
    On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:39:57 -0500
    Seth Forshee <seth.forshee@canonical.com> wrote:

    > On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:45:12PM +0100, James Le Cuirot wrote:
    > > Following a kernel git bisect, I have found that commit
    > > 6335e4d56681f6f08f24f4b812a72d402793d393 broke the function keys on
    > > the Toshiba Portégé 3500. Details of that commit can be seen at
    > > https://lkml.org/lkml/2009/3/31/440.
    > >
    > > Apart from fnfxd not responding to key presses, the hotkey_ready and
    > > hotkey values found in /proc/acpi/toshiba/keys remain stuck on 0
    > > whereas before they used to change after a single function key
    > > press.
    > >
    > > Some months after the commit, a patch was proposed in response to
    > > fix the multimedia keys on the Toshiba Satellite A40. Unfortunately
    > > this patch didn't fix the problem in my case. Regardless, the patch
    > > can be found at https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/2/27/138.
    > >
    > > Matthew Garrett initially requested an acpidump in order to diagnose
    > > the above problem so I have attached mine here. I also attempted to
    > > get the ACPI debug output but it more than filled my entire dmesg
    > > buffer and I wasn't even sure it was relevant. Let me know if you
    > > wish to see that anyway.
    > >
    > > Please CC me in your replies.
    >
    > I did some work on toshiba_acpi to support additional interfaces for
    > supporting hotkeys that went into 3.4. Based on your ACPI tables this
    > might help you, but I can't be certain, so you should give the latest
    > 3.4-rc a try to see if it helps.

    I tried 3.4-rc3 and after wrestling with a new, unrelated ACPI issue
    that stopped the machine from booting at all (now reverted), I found
    that the hotkeys still don't work. Shame, it sounded promising.

    James