    SubjectRe: [ath9k-devel] [ 00/78] 3.3.2-stable review
    On 04/16/2012 02:50 PM, Felipe Contreras wrote:
    > On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM, Greg KH<gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

    >>> Perhaps the current process will be continue to be OK, but I do
    >>> believe a tagged v3.3.1-rc1 would have catched the ath9k issue.
    >>
    >> How exactly would that have helped here?
    >
    > More people would have given it a try. Not that many people read the
    > mailing list, and the ones that do certainly might want to avoid
    > applying a big series of patches; even if their mail client makes it
    > easy (mine (Gmail) doesn't). A tag, and an announcement to give a try
    > would make it *much* easier.
    >
    >> You point out:
    >>
    >>> I used to compile my own kernels and use your stable tree, but this a
    >>> new laptop and I was using Arch Linux which automatically updated to
    >>> v3.3.1, and with no network I had no way to revert to v3.2.x.
    >>> Fortunately I had the kernel sources available, but I wonder how many
    >>> people were completely stuck.
    >>
    >> Arch wouldn't have included a -rc in their kernel (unless they are
    >> crazy), so this would not have helped your situation at all.
    >
    > There's *a lot* of people that got affected by the 3.3.1 release; we
    > don't need to break a lot of boxes to figure out there's an issue,
    > only a few would suffice, even one.
    >
    >>> If some other 3.x.1 release get broken this way, I would seriously
    >>> consider tagging v3.x.1-rc1 as well. It works for Linus' tree.
    >>
    >> "this way" was for a very tiny subset of hardware, so odds are, if this
    >> happens again, it wouldn't be caught this way either. That subset just
    >> happened to show up in your machine, but, for example, not in the wide
    >> range of hardware I test with here, nor the machines that others test
    >> with.
    >
    > It was certainly not just me. I have seen a lot of people mentioning
    > "their wifi is broken", a lot of them using Arch Linux,
    > coincidentally.

    Because it was only "tested" through the mailing list on Arch-general.
    Like I stated your issue was related to you and not understanding Arch
    AND how that kernel was tested before being pushed to the repo's

    > These issues would most likely not be caught before v3.x.1, and which
    > point it's too late, they cannot be reverted to v3.x.2 just like that;
    > they have to wait for upstream. Hopefully and probably everything
    > would go smooth like this time, but maybe not, we'll have to wait and
    > see. With more people using Arch Linux and thus the latest "stable"
    > release, I'd say we might see an increase in these kinds of issues.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Learn the distro you are using better.

      Last update: 2012-04-16 23:57    [W:0.036 / U:30.428 seconds]