SubjectRe: [ath9k-devel] [ 00/78] 3.3.2-stable review
On 04/16/2012 02:18 PM, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Greg KH<gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

>>> I don't see it here:
>>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;a=tags
>>>
>>> If you really want people to try it, why not tag it?
>>
>> That would be because I don't keep it in that tree. It is in a quilt
>> tree you can find in the stable-queue.git repo, and I have never tagged
>> -rc1 releases there. No one has ever asked for it before, so in the
>> past 6 years of stable releases, I guess no one ever needed it.
>>
>> ketchup and tarballs seem to work well for others, perhaps you can use
>> that as well (hint, ketchup on top of the linux-stable tree works just
>> fine for testing this.)
>
> Perhaps the current process will be continue to be OK, but I do
> believe a tagged v3.3.1-rc1 would have catched the ath9k issue.
> Hopefully that would mean it could have been dropped/reverted for
> v3.3.1.
>
> I used to compile my own kernels and use your stable tree, but this a
> new laptop and I was using Arch Linux which automatically updated to
> v3.3.1, and with no network I had no way to revert to v3.2.x.

For an Arch user I am shocked you are able to keep things going on your
setup. Why are you not spending this much effort complaining to Arch
Dev's for not properly testing 3.3.1 before pushing it. I know they did
not put it into testing and was just put through the mailing list for
people to test, with only a few ack's showing up on the list, before
pushing about a day later.

Also how did you not have something to roll back to? Why was there not a
package left in your /var/cache/pacman/pkg cache? Unless you clean out
your cache way to often you should have more than one kernel you could
have "rolled back" with a simple pacman -U linux-version-that-last-worked.

This much effort and bitching on your part to people who had nothing to
do with you getting a bad push from Arch, Arch should have done further
testing of it OR you should have waited a day before updating to see if
anything on your shiny new laptop would have been effected.

> Fortunately I had the kernel sources available, but I wonder how many
> people were completely stuck.

On arch no one should have been stuck if they would have read the wiki's
and been more aware of their systems. Stable or not you are living on
the bleeding edge or as close to it as possible when on Arch, read their
philosophy and methods and their wiki. Then if you have issues with
something Arch pushes to you, would it not be better to spend your
efforts on the distro you are running?

> If some other 3.x.1 release get broken this way, I would seriously
> consider tagging v3.x.1-rc1 as well. It works for Linus' tree.
>
> Cheers.

Just my .02 from someone not involved in any of this who is just fed up
with you twisting crap around to fit your gripes with something that is
not related to the trees or methods at hand. YOU got a package from YOUR
distro of choice and because YOU were not aware of things when updating
your distro YOU broke it. Not Linus or Greg, but Arch and you not
understanding the kernel did NOT go through the normal testing repo. I
have a system that would have broke in the same manner as yours, running
Arch, but because I am aware I have a few things that are getting lots
of work in the kernel, I need to be aware of the updates, especially
kernel's just being tested through the mailing list. Also why did you
not have at least the LTS as a backup on your Arch install, if you are
clearing out your cache so frequently to not have at least one version
to "roll back"?
Learn your hardware and how it interacts with the distro you choose and
you can better help yourself and ALL these efforts would not just end up
making you seem like a ranting loon!

  Last update: 2012-04-16 23:43    [W:0.154 / U:0.048 seconds]