SubjectRe: [ath9k-devel] [ 00/78] 3.3.2-stable review
From
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:11:05PM +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 7:27 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>> > Just one minor correction in this looney email thread:

>> > Of course there was a 3.3.1-rc1, see the linux-kernel archives for the
>> > announcemen and the individual patches.  kernel.org has the large patch
>> > itself if you like that format instead.
>>
>> I don't see it here:
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;a=tags
>>
>> If you really want people to try it, why not tag it?
>
> That would be because I don't keep it in that tree.  It is in a quilt
> tree you can find in the stable-queue.git repo, and I have never tagged
> -rc1 releases there.  No one has ever asked for it before, so in the
> past 6 years of stable releases, I guess no one ever needed it.
>
> ketchup and tarballs seem to work well for others, perhaps you can use
> that as well (hint, ketchup on top of the linux-stable tree works just
> fine for testing this.)

Perhaps the current process will be continue to be OK, but I do
believe a tagged v3.3.1-rc1 would have catched the ath9k issue.
Hopefully that would mean it could have been dropped/reverted for
v3.3.1.

I used to compile my own kernels and use your stable tree, but this a
new laptop and I was using Arch Linux which automatically updated to
v3.3.1, and with no network I had no way to revert to v3.2.x.
Fortunately I had the kernel sources available, but I wonder how many
people were completely stuck.

If some other 3.x.1 release get broken this way, I would seriously
consider tagging v3.x.1-rc1 as well. It works for Linus' tree.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras