SubjectRe: RCU related performance regression in 3.3
On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 05:06:54PM +0200, Pascal wrote:

> >>A full kernel compilation (make -j 16) takes 14mn with both 3.2.10 and 3.3.0.
> >
> >OK, good.

> >>In fact, I need it to remain disable until all the systemd units are completed.
> >>Some units, such as NetworkManager can take longer time to complete with
> >>RCU_FAST_NO_HZ enabled.
> >>And i need it to be disabled at shutdown, as umounting cgroups, sysfs, etc.
> >>plus old-root mounting can take one plain second for each umounting.
> >
> >OK...

> >>I said that I didn't noticed significant slowdown during runtime, but my
> >>laptop usage is basic. Some specific tasks similar to systemd may
> >>perhaps be impacted by this feature.
> >>I can test a task/program that could stress RCU_FAST_NO_HZ if any ?
> >
> >One thing to try first -- could you please check boot/shutdown slowdown
> >with the patch below?
> >
> >But yes, there are things like modifying netfilter rules and updating
> >security configuration that might be affected.

> >>So the feature is disabled until you trigger a sysfs parameter, and can be
> >>disabled before shutdown ? It would be fair, at least for hardware like my
> >>own.
> >
> >That is the thought, though again I would really really prefer that this
> >be automated.

> >>Do you think that the culprit is a buggy hardware in my laptop, or the
> >>number of cpu/threads ?
> >
> >Maybe just more filesystems to mount?

> >>Resent in plain text because rejected. Sorry, i forgot the rules.
> >
> >No problem! Please see below for the patch.
> >
> > Thanx, Paul
> >
> RCU_IDLE_GP_DELAY=3 instead of 6 does not improve significantly
> startup time. Shutdown is shorter, but there are still some delays on
> umounting some sysfs or oldroot mounts (not always the same).
> Startup time always varies randomly from 12s to 22s (8s stable without
> RCU_FAST_NO_HZ).
> The tasks taking time during startup are rarely the same from boot to
> boot,and some of them run after filesystems mounting.
> Example : "console-kit-system-log-start.service" systemd unit took 5s to
> complete in my last try, and 1s in the previous run. This one occurs
> after mountings.
> I enabled CONFIG_RCU_TRACE, and hey, the result in debugfs is beyond
> my knowledge :(
> Do you want some data from sys/kernel/debug/rcu (rcudata, ...) ?

So it seems that mount and unmount operations are often slower with
RCU_FAST_NO_HZ during boot and shutdown. Are these operations also
slower during runtime? If so, the RCU event tracing across both a fast
and a slow mount or unmount operation would likely be quite helpful.

Thanx, Paul