SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Linux hits 20 Gb/s stream to disk levels over Infiniband
From
On 3/31/12, Joseph Glanville <joseph.glanville@orionvm.com.au> wrote:
> On 1 April 2012 05:23, Jeffrey Merkey <jeffmerkey@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm assuming that the interesting part is the 20 Gbits/s capture? And at
>>> minimum packet sizes, I'd hope. Linux has been able to stream more than
>>> 5 GBytes/s (40 Gbits/s) to disk for several years now over SRP.
>>
>> Network Capture while being routed and regenerated and piped through
>> apps at the same time from live network traffic. Most of the other
>> vendors tout 10 Gb/s stream to disk but only Solera really can do it.
>> All of them except Niksun are Linux and I think they moved some of
>> their stuff to it. So hitting 20 Gb/s is a big deal right now. With
>> Intel's push in IB/Ethernet, this is where the next thing is going.
>> 3D Torus stuff is totally cool. You can actually store data in the
>> network itself. Talk about a challenge for Network security.
>
> You can do Infiniband routing in software? This is indeed very interesting.
> Pinged your contact page. :)

Got your email. Was catching up on SLES testing today, so sorry for
the late response. Yes, we can support IP routing and regeneration
over IB fabrics. If your question is can we also support native
routing of some IB functionality, yes. But RDMA stuff is better left
direct without local store and forward in software. I will email
you off line and you can better describe what you want done on IB.
The api and ib verbs are tedious and detailed to
program, but the technology rocks. We use IB primarily as an IP and
storage fabric, but I have worked on several commercial products with
IB, notably, this one last year which does routing -- a ton of work.
www.kove.com

Jeff