SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] KVM updates for the 3.4 merge window
On Sun, 2012-04-01 at 15:38 +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 03/30/2012 03:01 PM, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> > I just noticed that the branch you asked Linus to pull includes none
> > of the patches that Alex sent you in the last batch, in the email with
> > subject "[PULL 00/56] ppc patch queue 2012-03-15" sent on March 15,
> > where he asked you to pull git://github.com/agraf/linux-2.6.git
> > for-upstream.
> >
> > What happened? Did they get lost in the re-signing, or is there some
> > reason you thought they shouldn't go in?
>
> That pull request was send three days before the merge window opened;
> patches are supposed to cook for a while in -next before being merged,
> especially large trees like that one.

These are all powerpc specific patches that have been cooking in Alex
tree for a while and elsewhere before that. They almost only affect
arch/powerpc/kvm, and as such don't really need a lot of integration
testing in -next. A bit for sure but not necessarily monthes.

The current process is such that it takes absolutely forever for our
patches to get in, which is a major PITA for something in such state of
active development.

Why don't we have Alex tree go straight to -next like I do with Kumar
for example ? That way I don't need to have his branch sit in my tree
for weeks before I push it out to Linus.

Cheers,
Ben.

  Last update: 2012-04-01 23:05    [W:0.072 / U:0.936 seconds]