SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] 3.2.9-rt17
On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 16:44 -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 22:37 +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>
> > > Now when the original task releases the lock again, the other task can
> > > take it just like it does on mainline.
> >
> > Now interleave it with a third task of even higher priority that puts
> > the spinner to sleep.
>
> So? It will eventually have to allow the task to run. Adding a "third
> higher priority" task can cause problems in any other part of the -rt
> kernel.
>
> We don't need to worry about priority inversion. If the higher task
> blocks on the original task, it will boost its priority (even if it does
> the adaptive spin) which will again boost the task that it preempted.
>
> Now we may need to add a sched_yield() in the adaptive spin to let the
> other task run.

That's not what I mean,..

task-A (cpu0) task-B (cpu1) task-C (cpu1)

lock ->d_lock
lock ->i_lock
lock ->d_lock
<-------------- preempts B
trylock ->i_lock

While is is perfectly normal, the result is that A stops spinning and
goes to sleep. Now B continues and loops ad infinitum because it keeps
getting ->d_lock before A because its cache hot on cpu1 and waking A
takes a while etc..

No progress guarantee -> fail.

Test-and-set spinlocks have unbounded latency and we've hit pure
starvation cases in mainline. In fact it was so bad mainline had to grow
ticket locks to cope -- we don't want to rely on anything like this in
RT.

  Last update: 2012-03-08 22:57    [W:0.229 / U:1.028 seconds]