    SubjectRe: [RFC] Sort inclusive
    On 3/5/12 10:57 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > Btw., assuming that you are profiling user-space applications
    > via call-chains, how do you deal with the lack of dwarf decoding
    > done by perf, in particular on 64-bit x86 systems where most
    > distros don't compile call-chains into libraries and
    > application? In what practical situations does that limitation
    > hinder you and what do you do about it - rebuild your apps with
    > frame pointers included?

    Yes - we're rebuilding everything with frame pointers so we could get
    callchains. While this works for C/C++, I'm not convinced that we have a
    good solution for JITs where there may be multiple stacks (eg: one each
    for interpreted and JIT code), and the kernel may not be able to unwind
    without dwarf decoding. For now, we're going with the /tmp/perf-$pid.txt
    based solution for JITs.

    I'll post a new patch with the code refactored into smaller functions.

    -Arun

      Last update: 2012-03-06 20:45    [W:0.021 / U:147.480 seconds]