    Subject[REGRESSION] NMI received for unknown reason 3c on CPU 0, strange powersaving mode?
    Date
    Hi!

    Since some time I am seeing things like

    Message from syslogd@merkaba at Mar 30 00:29:30 ...
    kernel:[49074.294260] Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 3c on CPU 0.

    Message from syslogd@merkaba at Mar 30 00:29:30 ...
    kernel:[49074.294263] Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

    Message from syslogd@merkaba at Mar 30 00:29:30 ...
    kernel:[49074.294264] Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

    on resume after in-kernel hibernation.

    I do not see any trace of it in syslog, kern.log or dmesg.

    From the timestemp it seems that these messages are issued shortly before
    I send the laptop to hibernation last night.

    I am using a ThinkPad T520 with Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
    and Sandybridge graphics.

    I am not exactly sure since when it happens, cause I basically ignored it
    for quite some time. Might be some 3.2 kernel where it started, maybe even
    the first 3.2 kernel I had. Currently I am using:

    martin@merkaba:~> cat /proc/version
    Linux version 3.3.0-trunk-amd64 (Debian 3.3-1~experimental.1) (debian-
    kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Debian 4.6.3-1) ) #1 SMP Thu
    Mar 22 18:02:10 UTC 2012

    Since I am quite sure I didn´t see this with the first kernel I used on
    this machine, which was a 2.6.39 if I remember correctly, I consider this
    to be a regression for now.

    I did not see any other strange effects, only this message.

    When searching for it I see quite some references¹. But what I looked at
    seemed to either quite old or different in that the machine was frozen
    then.

    There seems to be some hints that its related to USB power management.

    Here is what powertop says about the autosuspend settings - I did not
    change anything in there:

    Bad Wireless Power Saving for interface wlan0
    Bad Enable SATA link power management for /dev/sda
    Bad Power Aware CPU scheduler
    Bad VM writeback timeout
    Bad Enable Audio codec power management
    Bad Autosuspend for USB device Biometric Coprocessor (UPE
    Bad Autosuspend for USB device Integrated Smart Card Read
    Bad Autosuspend for USB device USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse (Lo
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Ricoh Co Ltd MMC/SD Host Co
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 2nd Gener
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 2nd Gener
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 82579LM G
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 6 Series/
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 6 Series/
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Ricoh Co Ltd FireWire Host
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 6 Series/
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 6 Series/
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 353
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 6 Series/
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 6 Series/
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 6 Series/
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 6 Series/
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 6 Series/
    Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation Centrino
    Good NMI watchdog should be turned off
    Good Autosuspend for unknown USB device 1-1.5 (17ef:100a)
    Good Autosuspend for unknown USB device 1-1 (8087:0024)
    Good Autosuspend for unknown USB device 2-1 (8087:0024)
    Good Autosuspend for USB device EHCI Host Controller [usb1
    Good Autosuspend for USB device EHCI Host Controller [usb2
    Good Wake-on-lan status for device eth0
    Good Wake-on-lan status for device wlan0
    Good Using 'ondemand' cpufreq governor

    merkaba:~> lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 147e:2016 Upek Biometric Touchchip/Touchstrip
    Fingerprint Sensor
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 17ef:100a Lenovo ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 17ef:1003 Lenovo Integrated Smart Card Reader
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 046d:c00e Logitech, Inc. M-BJ58/M-BJ69 Optical
    Wheel Mouse

    But I think I have seen it at work as well where I use different USB
    devices (except for the builtin) and no Minidock for now.

    As for other settings that might be related:

    merkaba:~> cat /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf
    # Thorsten Leemhuis, Die Woche: Ungenutztes Stromsparpotenzial
    # http://www.heise.de/open/artikel/Die-Woche-Ungenutztes-
    Stromsparpotenzial-1361381.html
    # Eugeni Dodonov, Intel Linux Graphics
    # Following the open source road from Kernel to UI toolkits
    # http://www.scribd.com/doc/73071712/Intel-Linux-Graphics
    # i915_enable_fbc wieder aus, da:
    # Enabling FBC is causing the BLT ring to run between 10-100x slower than
    # normal and frequently lockup. The interim solution is disable FBC once
    # more until we know why.
    # http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;
    # a=commitdiff;h=d56d8b28e9247e7e35e02fbb12b12239a2c33ad1
    options i915 modeset=1 i915_enable_rc6=1 semaphores=1

    /etc/sysfs.conf:
    # Werner Fischer, ADMIN 03/2011
    # Schnelligkeit ist keine Hexerei
    # http://www.admin-magazin.de/Das-Heft/2011/03/SSD-Performance-optimieren
    class/scsi_host/host1/link_power_management_policy = min_power
    class/scsi_host/host2/link_power_management_policy = min_power
    # eSATA-Port
    class/scsi_host/host3/link_power_management_policy = medium_power
    class/scsi_host/host4/link_power_management_policy = min_power
    class/scsi_host/host5/link_power_management_policy = min_power
    class/scsi_host/host6/link_power_management_policy = min_power

    # c`t kompakt Linux 1/2012
    # Thorsten Leemhuis, Notebooks unter Linux, S. 38ff
    # S. 42, Kasten Handoptimiert
    devices/system/cpu/sched_mc_power_savings = 1
    # Macht modprobe/kmod anhand von /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.conf
    derzeit nicht.
    module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save = 1

    # By setting this to '1', under light load scenarios, the process load is
    # distributed such that all the threads in a core and all the cores in a
    # processor package are busy before distributing the process load to
    # threads and cores, in other processor packages.
    # http://lesswatts.org/tips/cpu.php#smpsched
    devices/system/cpu/sched_smt_power_savings = 1

    /etc/grub/default:

    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="threadirqsi init=/bin/systemd"

    Which is currently not used due to my Vim typo in there.

    I am using systemd only since last week and think that I have seen the
    message before.

    Anyway, if you suggest to alter some settings, please tell me and I will
    try it.

    If you need additional info like dmidecode or something please tell me as
    well.

    [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-
    source-2.6.20/+bug/116752 and quite some others

    Ciao,