SubjectRe: [rfc] fcntl: Add F_GETOWNER_UIDS option
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 07:22:48PM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> >> Hi Serge, thanks for info. But if it will be unconverted uid, can't
> >> be there some security problem with that which I missed?
>
> I would suggest the easy route and create a KCONFIG dependency
> on !CONFIG_USER_NS until the code for that is a little farther along.
>
> Hopefully later this week or begginning of next week I should be posting
> my patches and seeing how well the rest of the world takes them.

CC me on them, please.

> > Noone is really using the user namespaces right now, but rather than
> > adding the cred (and refcounting concerns), my suggestion for now
> > would be to hardcode a check in modown() that current_user_ns() ==
> > &init_user_ns.

OK, thanks

> > I *did* have a patch in the past which added the cred to fown, but
> > no idea where it is right now...
>
> So I guess there are two questions.
> - Does it make sense besides translation to add a cred here in general?

I personally fail to find a reason except uids translation.

> - How will it work with the user_namespace?
>
> I am just about ready to post a patchset that at the edges of
> userspace maps all uid and gids into uid and gids in the initial user
> namespace.

So, we could map tme into initial user namesapce right? And we could
require for a while that F_GETOWNER_UIDS should be called from initial
user namespace only. Then we could extend it for being called from any
user-namespace if such need appear. Or I miss something?

Cyrill

  Last update: 2012-03-28 08:51    [W:0.041 / U:2.416 seconds]