    SubjectRe: TTY: tty_port questions
    Am 25.03.2012 16:51, schrieb Alan Cox:
    > On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 23:20:01 +0000
    > Al Viro <viro@ZenIV.linux.org.uk> wrote:

    >>> As in, it's the very next step on.
    >>
    >> FWIW, uml console in default config is basically "start xterm for each VC".
    >> What do you suggest to do on vhangup() on one of those?
    >
    > What posix says must happen. Which is that the running processes get a
    > hangup. So a vhangup() would ensure there were no old apps on the UML
    > guess talking to the xterm (eg stealing login credentials, or abusing
    > TIOCSTI etc).

    Looks like Debian's /bin/login is violating POSIX. AFACT it does not
    call vhangup() at all.

    > The fact it's an xterm isn't really relevant. That's just the physical
    > interface and vhangup is about breaking the logical link. The xterm would
    > continue, no reason for it to do otherwise I can see ?

    As I wrote in my very first mail, if I implement tty_operations->hangup()
    a vhangup() closes the current TTY and the shiny new login shell dies because
    read/write() returns EIO.

    So, the question is whether tty_port is not suitable for consoles or my driver
    (see first mail in thread) is broken.

    Thanks,
    //richard

      Last update: 2012-03-25 17:17    [W:4.923 / U:0.024 seconds]