SubjectRe: arm: davinci: USB ethernet
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 10:52:38AM -0500, ddegraff wrote:

> On 03/20/2012 08:58 AM, Greg KH wrote:
> >On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 05:46:02AM -0500, Darryl wrote:
> >>We are currently using a DA850 eval board but will eventually use a
> >>custom board to interface host system to davinci using ethernet over
> >>USB. We are using 2.6.37 with real-time patches, but a cursory look
> >>(have not been able to build yet) at 3.3-rc7 suggests that the
> >>issues noted below still exist.
> >>
> >>There are currently two issues:
> >>
> >>- Documentation/usb/hotplug.txt suggests that the drivers should be
> >>built as modules so that such things as loading drivers and, in this
> >>case, bringing up the interface, can ge moderated in user-space.
> >>However, though the code can be build modular, the drivers are never
> >>loaded. I suspect that one or more of the several relevant configs
> >>(I see at least these: USB_MUSB_HDRC, USB_MUSB_DA8XX_GLUE,
> >>USB_GADGET, USB_ETH, USB_GPIO_VBUS, NOP_USB_XCEIV, USB_ETH_RNDIS,
> >>USB_OTG_UTILS) are required to be built in, but cannot seem to
> >>determine the correct ones.
> >Do you have a userspace tool that will automatically load the proper
> >modules when they show up?
> Busybox's mdev is currently intended for that. I've used udev for
> other projects, but we have a very limited space here.

udev really is too big? My cheap wireless router runs udev, I'm amazed
that people really feel that mdev is a proper replacement.

Odds are, you really don't need mdev, just use devtmpfs and be done with
it.

Anyway, as you are stuck with an old kernel release, I suggest you get
support from your vendor, they are the only ones that can help you out
here.

best of luck,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2012-03-20 17:03    [W:0.036 / U:1.332 seconds]