SubjectRe: Extending coredump note section to contain filenames
On 03/12/2012 05:46 PM, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 01:42:18 +0100, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> There is no 100% reliable solution possible -- you have no guarantee of
>> any kind that the library executable still exists.
>
> I have guarantee that the library binary mapped in memory identified by
> build-id can be found out there in the could. There is no other guarantee.
> And this guarantee fails with other solutions.
>
> If you say that it is _additional_ info to build-id then yes, one can always
> use build-id if everything else fails. But then the non-build-id information
> is redundant and it can just lead to wrong toolchain solutions - which has
> already happened (Apport).

You're thinking of a particular use case which isn't necessarily the
only one that matters. It might be the only one that matters to *you*,
but that's very different to what matters to a developer, for example.

And yes of course the build-id should be included.

-hpa

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans