    SubjectRe: [advice sought] EOMA68 kernel support
    On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 06:45:15 +0000
    lkcl luke <luke.leighton@gmail.com> wrote:

    > On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM, lkcl luke <luke.leighton@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > the implications of that split, for the linux kernel source code, are
    > > a bit... scarey :)
    >
    > ... so, real simple very basic, concrete and necessary question:
    > where the hell in the linux kernel tree should support for eoma68 be
    > added??

    It sounds to me like a bus.

    > * driver support can't be added to drivers/ because although a device
    > with an EOMA68 CPU card *requires* drivers, it's not *actual* drivers
    > being added, it's driver *grouping* code that's required, and that
    > concept simply does... not... exist.

    Actually we stick busses in drivers too (see pci...)

    > * architecture support can't be added to arch/ because that contains
    > code for CPUs not code that is about helping to support multiple CPUs.
    > eoma isn't a CPU.

    See above.. it's a bus

    > very basic question. where the hell should EOMA support source code go?
    >
    > bearing in mind that the first CPU card is an Allwinner A10, the next
    > one is likely to be an AMD Fusion, the one after that could be from
    > icubecorp, the one after that a multi-core SMP xtensa, etc.

    Off the top of my head I suspect you want

    drivers/eoma68/

    which is the bus interface and glue including reading the device tree
    data for the current board you are plugged into and building a device
    tree from that.

    lib/eoma68

    or some similar name, which is the library routines everything using
    eoma68 needs

    arch/[x86.arm,..]/platform/eoma68/..

    probably the platform code for each system.

    I don't btw see the problem with your device trees and display. If you've
    got a device tree on *both* the CPU card and the I/O boards then you've
    got all the data in the right places.

    Alan

      Last update: 2012-03-10 14:01    [W:0.027 / U:10.564 seconds]