    SubjectRe: getdents - ext4 vs btrfs performance
    From
    2012/3/1 Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com>:
    > On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 03:03:53PM +0100, Jacek Luczak wrote:

    > Whoa, seekwatcher makes it pretty clear.

    Yep, ext4 is close to my wife's closet.

    >> > Would you please take reiserfs into account?
    >>
    >> As of now not (lack of time) but I'm pretty close to consider XFS in
    >> the game. Whenever I will have more time and there won't be a pressure
    >> on giving host back to production I will redo same tests for reiserfs.
    >>
    >> Now I'm focused on the userspace sorting results.
    >
    > reiserfs should have results very similar to ext4.  The directory
    > hashing used by reiserfs is going to result in a very random read
    > pattern.
    >
    > XFS will probably beat btrfs in this test.  Their directory indexes
    > reflect on disk layout very well.

    True, but not that fast on small files.

    Except the question I've raised in first mail there's a point in all
    those action. We are maintaining host that are used for building
    software: random access, lot of small files and dirs (always a co),
    heavy parallel IO. We were testing XFS vs ext4 a year ago and XFS was
    around 10% slower on build times. We did not - yet - done same on
    btrfs. Now we're looking for replacement for ext4 as we suffer from
    those issue - but we were not aware of that until stepped into this
    issue.

    If you would like me to do some specific tests around ext4 and btrfs,
    let me know.

    -Jacek