    SubjectUse case for PERF_COUNT_HW_REF_CPU_CYCLES generic PMU event
    Hello Stephane,

    I was going through the following discussion where we added the
    new HW generic event PERF_COUNT_HW_REF_CPU_CYCLES.

    (Sorry, for asking this question bit late)

    I am trying to understand the use case for this. Would this new event
    help us in generating (during a perf session) a CPU frequency invariant
    time metric against which we would plot our other perf event's measurements ?
    CPU frequency independent time measurement is it's primary purpose ? or we were
    finding a way to expose the fixed counter 2 which was not getting used before
    for not having an event encoding. I guess this would help us in finding equivalent
    PMU events or mechanisms in other architecture / platforms.

    Anshuman Khandual
    Linux Technology Centre
    IBM Systems and Technology Group

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-02-08 10:47    [W:0.042 / U:153.780 seconds]