    SubjectRe: Questions about ptrace on a dying process
    On 02/29/2012 11:12 AM, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > Tim Bird <tim.bird@am.sony.com> writes:
    >
    >> ptrace maintainers (and interested parties)...
    >>
    >> I'm working on a crash handler for Linux, which uses ptrace to retrieve information
    >> about a process during it's coredump. Specifically, from within a core handler
    >> program (started within do_coredump() as a user_mode_helper), I would like to make
    >> ptrace calls against the dying process.
    >
    > The standard approach is to define a core pipe handler and parse the
    > elf memory dump.

    Yeah - I may be doing something new here. Android uses ptrace
    in debuggerd, which is their crash reporting tool, but they wake
    it up with signals before the dying program goes into coredump.

    I'm taking a different approach and trying to do initiated
    by the coredump feature in Linux. This makes it so that
    a process does not need to be persistently running to capture
    these events.

    This is on embedded systems, where the dump is not saved. The dump
    is available via stdin to the core pipe handler, but it would be
    kind of a pain to wrapper that for random access, which is needed
    for stuff like stack unwinding.
    -- Tim

    Tim Bird
    Architecture Group Chair, CE Workgroup of the Linux Foundation
    Senior Staff Engineer, Sony Network Entertainment

      Last update: 2012-02-29 21:49    [W:0.047 / U:0.040 seconds]