SubjectRe: Hang on "echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger"
Keith Chew <keith.chew@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> To test the reliability of a hardware, I have a script which reboots a
> machine every 15 minutes after boot up. This machine has a dual video
> output, VGA and DVI-D, both driven via an intel GM45 chipset (I am
> using kernel 2.6.39.24 kernel intel drivers).
>
> Some interesting results (which can be reproduced consistently):
> "echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger" via DVI-D - after 2-3 days, it hangs
> (freezes) before reboot (dmesg only shows "Resetting...", nothing

My blind guess would be that it is the BIOS on the machine that is hung.

> after that, no panic, stack trace, etc)
> "echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger" via VGA - runs > 1 week
> "reboot -fn" via VGA or DVI-D - runs > 1 week
> "reboot" via VGA or DVI-D - runs > 1 week
>
> I suspect that the intel graphics driver is not happy with the "echo b
>> /proc/sysrq-trigger" when it is still running.
>
> I would like to make the "echo b" successfully reboot the machine, but
> this would appear to be a hardware bug? Is there anything that can be
> done in the kernel to make the "echo b" successfully work 100%?

echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger triggers the emergency_restart path which
tries but skips some steps so that it has a reasonable chance of working
when the kernel is wedged, it looks like some of those steps it skips
are needed on your hardware.

Eric

  Last update: 2012-02-29 19:05    [W:0.966 / U:0.068 seconds]