From: Stephen Rothwell [mailto:sfr@canb.auug.org.au]
Sent: 29 February 2012 7:52 AM
To: Chris Kelly
Cc: Greg KH; linux-next@vger.kernel.org; linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (staging tree related)
Hi Chris,

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 07:35:35 +0000 Chris Kelly <ckelly@ozmodevices.com> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> I believe I understand the cause of the problem and would like to
> submit a patch to fix it. However, I am unclear on what the starting
> point is given that the final patch was reverted from linux-next. Do I
> assume that patch will be reapplied before the applying the new patch
> or should I provide another patch to reapply the reverted patch? Is it
> acceptable to submit patches generated against the head of linux-next?

Your patches are all still in Greg's tree which I merge into linux-next every day. I have then been reverting that last patch each day. Your patch should be against Greg's tree (or your last patch) and then when the fix is in Greg's tree, I will get it in linux-next and stop reverting the other patch.

> Before submitting the patch, I would like to test that the patch
> really does fix the issue found by Stephen. Since it doesn't occur
> when building for x32 or x64 then I need to setup a PowerPC
> cross-compile tool chain. Do you have any suggestions as to where I
> can pull a prebuilt tool chain or do I need to build directly from the GNU sources.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/files/bin/x86_64/4.6.0/x86_64-gcc-4.6.0-nolibc_powerpc64-linux.tar.xz

That is am x86_64 hosted powerpc64 compiler suitable for building the kernel.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@canb.auug.org.au

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans