    From: Stephen Rothwell []
    Sent: 29 February 2012 7:52 AM
    To: Chris Kelly
    Cc: Greg KH;;
    Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (staging tree related)

    Hi Chris,

    On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 07:35:35 +0000 Chris Kelly <> wrote:
    > Hi Greg,
    > I believe I understand the cause of the problem and would like to
    > submit a patch to fix it. However, I am unclear on what the starting
    > point is given that the final patch was reverted from linux-next. Do I
    > assume that patch will be reapplied before the applying the new patch
    > or should I provide another patch to reapply the reverted patch? Is it
    > acceptable to submit patches generated against the head of linux-next?

    Your patches are all still in Greg's tree which I merge into linux-next every day. I have then been reverting that last patch each day. Your patch should be against Greg's tree (or your last patch) and then when the fix is in Greg's tree, I will get it in linux-next and stop reverting the other patch.

    > Before submitting the patch, I would like to test that the patch
    > really does fix the issue found by Stephen. Since it doesn't occur
    > when building for x32 or x64 then I need to setup a PowerPC
    > cross-compile tool chain. Do you have any suggestions as to where I
    > can pull a prebuilt tool chain or do I need to build directly from the GNU sources.

    That is am x86_64 hosted powerpc64 compiler suitable for building the kernel.

    Stephen Rothwell

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-02-29 18:11    [W:0.025 / U:103.816 seconds]