    SubjectRe: Can we move device drivers into user-space?
    * Mauro Carvalho Chehab (mchehab@redhat.com) wrote:
    > Em 25-02-2012 13:10, Eduard - Gabriel Munteanu escreveu:
    > > On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 04:21:09PM -0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
    > >> Moving a buggy driver to userspace won't fix the bug. You're just moving
    > >> it from one place to another place. Also, the code will likely require changes
    > >> to work on userspace, so, the chances are that you're actually introducing more
    > >> bugs.

    <snip>

    > >> That's said, there are much more eyes inspecting the kernel sources than on any
    > >> other userspace project. So, the risk of a bad code to be inserted unnoticed at
    > >> the Linux kernel is degrees of magnitude lower than on an userspace driver.
    > >
    > > Those much more eyes have already missed important bugs in the past.
    >
    > Yes, nobody is perfect. But the probability that something passes on a 4000+ people
    > review is lower than the probability of a bug on a piece of code where just one
    > or two people are looking on it.

    That there are 4000+ people reading a driver is a big assumption; for common
    drivers I'd agree - one problem though is there are a lot of drivers for obscure
    hardware or old/dead hardware/protocols that frankly near to nobody cares about.

    Very few people read those drivers; yet sometimes they get built and distributed
    and someone then finds that since no one has looked at them they're full of holes,
    and given a malicious USB device for example, you can suddenly create one of these
    devices that only 3 people have bothered to read the source to - 5 years ago.
    (The Econet security bug recently would be an example of that).

    There is a line which says that things that really aren't used
    just shouldn't be built; but then there are things that are only used
    by a few people, and then ones only used by a few organisations - and
    it gets very difficult to say at what point you say just turn it off.

    Dave
    / Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux | Happy \
    \ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | | In Hex /

      Last update: 2012-02-26 03:29    [W:0.024 / U:0.300 seconds]