    SubjectRe: Can we move device drivers into user-space?
    On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 09:10:27PM +0100, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
    > I am not complaining about the kernel and its driver structure - on
    > the contrary. I do, however, see a reason why constructing lower-level
    > interfaces to userspace may be of benefit. The kernel is growing
    > tremendously fast. Sooner or later, parts of the present driver
    > responsibility will have to be split into smaller chunks. Why not
    > place those chunks outside the kernel itself?

    I fail to understand why you think the growth of the kernel will require
    drivers to be split into chunks in the future. Are we somehow growing
    faster than is required / needed / wanted and outstripping the size of
    what we are allowed to take up on machines?

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2012-02-24 21:19    [W:0.022 / U:30.208 seconds]