    SubjectRe: Can we move device drivers into user-space?
    > > Given the choice, I would be quite happy to piss off some robots. Call
    > > it a prejudice if you like ;).
    > You can't control how people use an interface. You will note that there
    > are no stupid users of the UIO interface in the kernel today, we can't
    > control what people do in the privacy of their own companies/homes,
    > despite numerous governments trying to do so in the past.
    > So yes, people will always do stupid, foolish things. And they were
    > doing them before UIO came along, now they just have the chance to at
    > least do those foolish things in a way that interfaces with the kernel
    > in a semi-sane manner, not messing anything else in the kernel up.

    So the question is; can the uio example be repeated in other areas, to
    bring more kernel power to userspace?

    No doubt, the kernel has fostered an unprecedented code-quality view,
    which, IMHO, is the bottom line. As long as that quality remains
    unchallenged, having all drivers in-kernel will remain the best
    choice. But, suppose some entity managed to keep that quality in
    userspace, would there be any reason to think of it as a bad idea? I
    think not.

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-02-24 20:17    [W:0.020 / U:7.492 seconds]