    SubjectRe: Can we move device drivers into user-space?
    From
    On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

    >> > Um, who is having such a debate?  We aren't, so I don't think the debate
    >> > has ever started.
    >> >

    >> Here is the classic debate between Andrew S. Tanenbaum and Linus Torvalds:
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanenbaum%E2%80%93Torvalds_debate
    >
    > That was 20 years ago, to assume that anyone rational was still having
    > that debate today is insane.

    You probably missed the second paragraph.

    "This subject was revisited in 2006 after Tanenbaum wrote a cover
    story for Computer magazine titled "Can We Make Operating Systems
    Reliable and Secure?".[3] While Tanenbaum himself has mentioned that
    he did not write the article to renew the debate on kernel design,[4]
    the juxtaposition of the article and an archived copy of the 1992
    debate on the technology site Slashdot caused the subject to be
    rekindled.[5] Torvalds posted a rebuttal of Tanenbaum's arguments via
    an online discussion forum,[6] and several technology news sites began
    reporting the issue.[7] This prompted Jonathan Shapiro to respond that
    most of the field-proven reliable and secure computer systems use a
    more microkernel-like approach.[8]"