    SubjectRe: [tip:x86/urgent] x86, efi: Delete efi_ioremap() and fix CONFIG_X86_32 oops
    On 02/22/2012 06:20 PM, Yinghai Lu wrote:
    > Why is MAXMEM used here?
    > EFI reserved area could be above 4G?
    > if that is the case, you will map all mmio hole below 4g.

    OK, dropping this patch for now, at least from -urgent.

    We really need to restrict the memory types we map, at least without
    ioremap() called on them. In theory, on x86-64, we could have a
    dedicated "1:1" address for each physical address, but there is no good
    reason we should ever map memory types other than RAM, ACPI and EFI by
    default -- with the possible exception of the low 1 MiB legacy area.

    Therefore, I don't see why on Earth we have
    kernel_physical_mapping_init() create mappings for areas which are not
    RAM. It has access to the memory map at this point, so there is no
    reason for it. Unfortunately I think we still have a bunch of code
    which implicitly assumes the old "PC" model with separate contiguous
    memory ranges starting at 0, 1 MiB, and 4 GiB, however, there are more
    and more systems where that just doesn't match reality.

      Last update: 2012-02-23 04:35    [W:0.019 / U:28.976 seconds]