SubjectRe: ASM1083 PCIx-PCI bridge interrupts - widespread problems
(I'm just a bystander here, but interested, since I've been asked
about it a few times)

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Chris Palmer <> wrote:
> On 31/01/2012 02:12, Robert Hancock wrote:
>> On 01/30/2012 09:04 AM, Chris Palmer wrote:
>>> Linus et al
>>> For about 6 months many users have been having interrupt problems
>>> with PCI boards, but it hasn't been
>>> easy trying to find where the problem may be. However, it is now
>>> looking likely that the problem lies
>>> in the ASM1083 PCIe-PCI bridge chipset, as used by Asus in many
>>> Sandybridge and AMD boards.
>>> My original bug report is:
>>>  (Sandybridge)
>>> and there several other similar ones. However there is also extensive
>>> investigation in the following thread:
>>>  (AMD)
>>> There have also been reports of Windows users having similar problems.
>>> This problem prevents use of PCI boards in any motherboard with that
>>> bridge chipset - including most
>>> ASUS boards. At the moment though we don't know whether the chipset
>>> or drivers are faulty, and if a
>>> workaround is possible.
>>> At the moment my bug is assigned to drivers_network, but this doesn't
>>> look appropriate.
>>> Hoping someone can help...
>> If the analysis posted in the "Unhandled IRQs on AMD E-450" thread is
>> correct, then it sounds like the bridge chip is delaying PCIe INTx
>> deassert messages. In that case there isn't much the kernel is likely
>> to be able to fix it properly, at least not without input from ASMedia
>> or someone else with detailed knowledge of the chip.
>> The workaround posted in that thread (switching to IRQ polling mode on
>> the interrupt for some period of time after a screaming IRQ is
>> detected) might be a workaround, but definitely would be considered a
>> hack.
>> Do you have a source/link for people having issues with this on
>> Windows? I wouldn't be surprised though - I doubt Windows has any
>> special handling for unhandled IRQs so likely it just hammers the IRQ
>> handler until the IRQ gets deasserted. In that case the only thing a
>> user might notice would be poor performance whenever the devices
>> behind that bridge raise interrupts.
> Nothing definitive about Windows, but Edward found this discussion. It's
> a bit emotive, but suggests the problem may be manifesting itself there too:
> Chris

If we end up helpless with this chip, will we at least warn the user
that it's known to be buggy? I dont' know if there's a standard
procedure when documenting bad hardware.

I've CC'd a few more people who have reported this, and Clemens, who
got to the bottom of it.