    SubjectRe: linux-next: dock_link_device is oopsy
    On Sa 18. Feb - 13:03:34, Hugh Dickins wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, Holger Macht wrote:
    > > >
    > > > It's more broken than that. Here's my attempt. It boots on the
    > > > systems with dock_station_count 0, and it boots on my laptop with
    > > > dock_station_count 2; but I don't actually have any docking station,
    > > > so it still doesn't test very much (dock is 0 after the loop).
    > >
    > > Well, there doesn't have to actually exist a physical dock station (or
    > > bay device) for dock_station_count to be > 0. It just tells that the
    > > ACPI objects are present and thus the system is capable of it.
    > >
    > > So does this function actually also break on your laptop and you're
    > > getting the oops there, too?
    > It oopsed on the 4-year-old Fujitsu-Siemens laptop whose dock_station_count
    > was 0. It did not oops on the new ThinkPad laptop whose dock_station_count
    > is 2, but no docks were found: so the function would only have been leaking
    > memory on that.

    It should actually have successfully linked the dock to the device, if
    for instance you had a device in your bay. At least this is working fine
    with two Thinkpads I tested with. That's why I didn't encounter this
    problem at all before resubmitting the corresponding patch set.

    > If docks were found, then I suspect it could have been scribbling, but I
    > cannot actually check if that's true (for all I know, dock_station_count
    > may be always 1 bigger than the most that that double loop can discover);
    > but at least the loop is now made safe against scribbling.

    It was actually working fine multiple times, out of pure luck it seems.

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-02-18 22:53    [W:0.021 / U:6.520 seconds]