    SubjectRe: [ubuntu-hardened] Add overflow protection to kref

    >> I have yet to see a patch, so why are we arguing about this?  :)
    >> Again, I don't know of any kref overflows that have ever happened, so
    >> trying to "protect" this type of thing, seems odd to me.
    > Well, I think the issue was to protect counting things (which seems to
    > be what PaX was after originally), and that kref seemed like the place
    > to put it. I'll let David take it further.

    Patches are forthcoming that will first introduce overflow protection
    to kref. Once that's in place, I'll move a few refcount users from
    atomic_t to kref as a reference for other subsystems; statistics-based
    users (and others not requiring overflow protection) can continue
    using atomic_t.

    As Kees said, we just wanted to introduce the idea and get some
    general feedback before beginning. Thanks.

    > Thanks,
    > -Kees
    > --
    > Kees Cook
    > ChromeOS Security

    PGP: 6141 5FFD 11AE 9844 153E  F268 7C98 7268 6B19 6CC9