SubjectRe: scsi_error: do not allow IO errors with certain ILLEGAL_REQUEST sense to be retryable
On Mon, Feb 13 2012 at  1:13pm -0500,
Mike Snitzer <snitzer@redhat.com> wrote:

> > Mike> So that makes 3 different _prominent_ storage vendors, that I am
> > Mike> aware of, that are bitten by their broken storage (relative to
> > Mike> discard and properly advertising which variant they actually
> > Mike> support). I'd much rather deal with the storage vendors (or their
> > Mike> customers) reporting that discards aren't working than mutual
> > Mike> customers reporting that they cannot even install to the storage.
> >
> > More graceful handling of the sense data aside, we do have a couple of
> >
> > 1. Now that the provisioning portion seems to be stable in SBC-3 we can
> > nuke the interim spec heuristics and only support devices that
> > report the right thing. This may disable provisioning for some
> > existing users whose arrays run non-compliant firmware.
> >
> > 2. We can add another layer of heuristics based on the RSOC wrapper I
> > introduced for write same. Maybe you could send me sg_opcodes output
> > for the arrays in question?
>
> Yeah, I think that would be welcomed evolution (but as you say,
> independent of improving additional ILLEGAL REQUEST processing).

That was a response to 1 above.

I don't have direct access to the arrays in question to get sg_opcodes.

But I can work on getting them.

Mike

  Last update: 2012-02-13 20:03    [W:0.045 / U:0.076 seconds]