SubjectRe: Why a host not ping-able?
Date
On 2012-12-04, Rob Landley <rob@landley.net> wrote:
> On 12/04/2012 12:17:25 AM, Woody Wu wrote:
>> Hi, list
>>
>> I am not sure this has something with kernel.
>
> It doesn't.
>
>> But the system I just
>> generated cannot be reached from ping. It can ping outside, but if I
>> ping it from outside, I just get "Destination Host Unreachable".
>
> Some distributions' default firewall rules respond to icmp packets with
> a host unreachable packet. This is a system/network administration
> thing (iptables) and nothing to do with kernel development.
>
>> I think there is not firewall in between,
>
> There's a firewall built into linux, read the man page for the
> "iptables" command. The "iptables-save" command dumps your entire
> current ruleset to stdout so you can see what's in there. (You might
> have to run it as root, I forget.)
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IptablesHowTo

This 'distribution' I am running is a tailor linux 3.4.19 on an embedded
system (Samsung S3C2410). Because this is a very small system, I
believe I did not add any ip-table options in the kernel. And, I did not
install any user space firware packet for it. So maybe this is really a
firewall play in between.

Now I run tcpdump on the target system with 'tcpdump -i eth0'. Then when
I ping it from another Linux box, I see nothing from the tcpdump output.
Does this confirm there is a firewall blocked the ping packets?

Thanks in advance.

--
woody
I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then.

  Last update: 2012-12-05 05:01    [W:0.060 / U:0.124 seconds]