    SubjectRe: What does ISA/PCI really mean to ARM architecture?
    From
    On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Woody Wu <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Can a peripheral chip that claims to be ISA or PCI device be used in a
    > ARM based embedded system? For these kind of chips, I only concern
    > about the planar kind of devices, means they are not on a dedicated
    > expansion card.
    >
    > From hardware point of view, to attach a ISA or PCI planar chip, is
    > there any requirement need to fulfill on a ARM bard?
    >
    > From Linux driver point of view, what are needed to support an ISA or
    > PCI driver in ARM architecture? More important, is ISA or PCI device a
    > platform device? If not, how to add these kind of devices in my board
    > definition?

    An ISA device is typically a platform device. For ARM, which uses device trees,
    this means you define it in the device tree.

    A PCI device is not a platform device, as devices on a PCI bus can be
    probed automatically. The PCI host bridge is typically a platform device,
    though, so it it should be in your device tree.

    Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

    Geert

    -- Linus Torvalds

      Last update: 2012-12-27 11:41    [W:7.482 / U:0.012 seconds]