SubjectRe: What does ISA/PCI really mean to ARM architecture?
From
On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 3:27 AM, Woody Wu <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, list
>
> I know this might be a very basic question. But I really don't clear at
> it.
>
> Can a peripheral chip that claims to be ISA or PCI device be used in a
> ARM based embedded system? For these kind of chips, I only concern
> about the planar kind of devices, means they are not on a dedicated
> expansion card.
>
> From hardware point of view, to attach a ISA or PCI planar chip, is
> there any requirement need to fulfill on a ARM board?

See if your ARM CPU has an interface for SRAM (in addition to DRAM).
You can use a SRAM chip select to access ISA type devices. But you may
need additional buffers/latches to do this.

Another solution is to attach you peripherals using USB. Almost all
embedded wifi chips are attached this way. The USB connectors aren't
required, you can route USB around on your PCB. USB hub chips are
$0.35 if you need more ports. USB Ethernet chips are available.

Other options include SPI/I2C. It is worthwhile to investigate these
serial solutions before doing a parallel solution. Parallel buses eat
up a lot of PCB space.