SubjectRe: [RFC 3/3] virtio-balloon: add auto-ballooning support
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 14:53:30 -0800
Anton Vorontsov <anton.vorontsov@linaro.org> wrote:

> Hello Luiz,
>
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 06:16:55PM -0200, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
> > The auto-ballooning feature automatically performs balloon inflate
> > or deflate based on host and guest memory pressure. This can help to
> > avoid swapping or worse in both, host and guest.
> >
> > Auto-ballooning has a host and a guest part. The host performs
> > automatic inflate by requesting the guest to inflate its balloon
> > when the host is facing memory pressure. The guest performs
> > automatic deflate when it's facing memory pressure itself. It's
> > expected that auto-inflate and auto-deflate will balance each
> > other over time.
> >
> > This commit implements the host side of auto-ballooning.
> >
> > To be notified of host memory pressure, this commit makes use of this
> > kernel API proposal being discussed upstream:
> >
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=135513372205134&w=2
>
> Wow, you're fast! And I'm glad that it works for you, so we have two
> full-featured mempressure cgroup users already.

Thanks, although I think we need more testing to be sure this does what
we want. I mean, the basic mechanics does work, but my testing has been
very light so far.

> Even though it is a qemu patch, I think we should Cc linux-mm folks on it,
> just to let them know the great news.

I'll do it next time.

  Last update: 2012-12-19 13:01    [W:0.062 / U:0.060 seconds]