SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] fbdev changes for 3.8
On 2012-12-16 22:35, Tony Lindgren wrote:

>> Those are all omap internal devices and should be all marked with
>> depends on ARCH_OMAP2PLUS.
>>
>> It's a different story for external devices that may be used on other
>> architectures.
>>
>> I only came up with one reason to compile internal devices for other
>> architectures: In some cases the driver subsystem maintainer may want to
>> be able to compile test subsystem wide changes without having to compile
>> for each target separately. But for those cases it's trivial to carry a
>> compile test patch that just drops the depends Kconfig entries.
>
> And here's a patch to limit the omap drivers above to omap only.

The patch looks good to me.

The reason I removed the OMAP dependency from OMAP DSS was not (only)
because of the compile testing, but also because I thought it was right:
a driver for an IP block shouldn't presume that the IP is used only on
particular SoC.

But perhaps that's a bit too academic approach for an IP that's in real
world only used for OMAP.

Tomi

  Last update: 2012-12-17 10:43    [W:0.056 / U:0.476 seconds]