SubjectRe: [patch v2 3/6] memcg: rework mem_cgroup_iter to use cgroup iterators
On Tue 11-12-12 17:15:59, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Tue 11-12-12 16:50:25, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > On Sun 09-12-12 08:59:54, Ying Han wrote:
> > > On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Michal Hocko <mhocko@suse.cz> wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > In this case, the css_tryget() failed which implies the css is on the
> > > way to be removed. (refcnt ==0) If so, why it is safe to call
> > > css_get() directly on it below? It seems not preventing the css to be
> > > removed by doing so.
> >
> > Well, I do not remember exactly but I guess the code is meant to say
> > that we need to store a half-dead memcg because the loop has to be
> > retried. As we are under RCU hood it is just half dead.
> > Now that you brought this up I think this is not safe as well because
> > another thread could have seen the cached value while we tried to retry
> > and his RCU is not protecting the group anymore.
>
> Hmm, thinking about it some more, it _is_ be safe in the end.
>
> We are safe because we are under RCU.

And I've just realized that one sentence vanished while I was writing
this.

So either we retry (while(!memcg)) and see the half-dead memcg with a
valid cgroup because we are under rcu so cgroup iterator will find a
next one. Or we race with somebody else on the iterator and that is
described bellow.