SubjectRe: Missing tags in my local stable git repo
On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 13:18 -0800, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> > Am I making any sense? ;-)
>
> Kind of,

I'm glad you understand it, because I sure don't ;-)

> but would would be even easier is if you just have one
> "origin", pointing at linux-stable.git, and then every so often just do:
> git checkout master
> git pull git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git

Both my stable.git and my linus.git are bare repositories. No working
directory, as that would add a lot of unnecessary files and waste disk
space. You can't do a git checkout on a bare repository.

> As the master branch of linux-stable.git always is a "clean" linux.git
> tree, although it might lag a few -rc releases back if I have forgotten
> to update it recently. When it does get updated, all should be fine as
> the master branch has no merges from anything else, so it's just a
> fast-forward.

I also need the latest linus tree all the time. Unless your stable tree
has a branch from Linus's master, I will still need to directly get
Linus's tree.

> That might be simpler overall than the different repos to be pulling
> from in different ways.

Unfortunately it wont work due to the requirement that the repos be
bare.

-- Steve

  Last update: 2012-12-10 23:01    [W:0.087 / U:0.040 seconds]