    SubjectWhy Cypress does not upstream its trackpad driver?
    From
    Hi,

    This driver [0] was written with a cooperation of Cypress, Dell and
    Canonical Engineers within the last 3-4 months. It is very nice that
    Cypress as a vendor cooperated with Canonical (Because Canonical works
    with Dell for their Project Sputnik and Dell XPS13 is used as the main
    hardware for that project and Dell XPS13 has this type of trackpad,
    Bingo!), and I am also glad that Ubuntu users benefits from this
    driver.

    The driver brings multi-touch scrolling, disable-while-tapping and
    makes Fn+Fx touchpad disable/enable work for not only Dell XPS13 but
    for all laptops having this trackpad (My Lenovo Ultrabook U300s for
    example, I tested the patches on fedora 17's 3.6 kernel and it works
    quiet nice)

    But what I am not getting that why NOBODY from Cypress/Canonical/Dell
    isn't bothering to push this driver to upstream?
    Is it too hard? I don't think so as the patches are quite non-invasive
    and small.

    Is the only distribution around is Ubuntu?
    Is the only laptop sold in the world is Dell XPS13 with an Ubuntu?

    I'm not trying to be impolite but it hurts me to see that a vendor
    produces an open-source driver for its device but makes use of it only
    through a specific distribution.

    If Cypress is just beginning developing open-source drivers for their
    devices, I hope that after this mail they will be much sensitive about
    the issue and push their drivers even before the release of their
    devices to make user experience flawless.

    (I googled and searched the archives of LKML and linux-input but
    couldn't find a discussion or patch series about the driver. If I
    missed it, ignore the whole stuff above)

    [0]: http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/178903/

    --
    Ozan Çağlayan
    Research Assistant