SubjectRe: [2.6.38-3.x] [BUG] soft lockup - CPU#X stuck for 23s! (vfs, autofs, vserver)
Date
On Tuesday 25 of September 2012 07:05:59 Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 11:17:42AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> writes:

> >> currently we do:
>
> >> br_read_lock(&vfsmount_lock);
> >> root = current->fs->root;
> >> root_mnt = real_mount(root.mnt);
> >> point = root.dentry;
>
> >> while ((mnt != mnt->mnt_parent) && (mnt != root_mnt)) {
> >> point = mnt->mnt_mountpoint;
> >> mnt = mnt->mnt_parent;
> >> }
>
> >> ret = (mnt == root_mnt) && is_subdir(point, root.dentry);
> >> br_read_unlock(&vfsmount_lock);
>
> >> and we have been considering to move the br_read_unlock()
> >> right before the is_subdir() call
>
> >> if there are any suggestions how to achieve the same
> >> with less locking I'm all ears ...
>
> > Herbert, why do you need to filter the mounts that show up in a
> > mount namespace at all?
>
> that is actually a really good question!
>
> > I would think a far more performant and simpler solution would
> > be to just use mount namespaces without unwanted mounts.
>
> we had this mechanism for many years, long before the
> mount namespaces existed, and I vaguely remember that
> early versions didn't get the proc entries right either
>
> I took a quick look at the code and I think we can drop
> the mnt_is_reachable() check and/or make it conditional
> on setups without a mount namespace in place in the near
> future (thanks for the input, really appreciated!)

Hi,

Herbert, can i just drop this mnt_is_reachable() method from vserver patch?
this issue hasn't been solved for several months now. i can live without this
problematic security-through-obscurity feature on my heavy loaded machines. .