SubjectRe: [patch/rfc/rft] sd: allocate request_queue on device's local numa node
On 10/23/12 18:52, Jeff Moyer wrote:
> Bart Van Assche <bvanassche@acm.org> writes:
>> Please keep in mind that a
>> single PCIe bus may have a minimal distance to more than one NUMA
>> node. See e.g. the diagram at the top of page 8 in
>> http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03261871/c03261871.pdf
>> for a system diagram of a NUMA system where each PCIe bus has a
>> minimal distance to two different NUMA nodes.
>
> That's an interesting configuration. I wonder what the numa_node sysfs
> file contains for such systems--do you know? I'm not sure how we could
> allow this to be user-controlled at probe time. Did you have a specific
> mechanism in mind? Module parameters? Something else?

As far as I can see in drivers/pci/pci-sysfs.c the numa_node sysfs
attribute contains a single number, even for a topology like the one
described above.

With regard to user control of the numa node: I'm not sure how to solve
this in general. But for the ib_srp driver this should be easy to do:
SCSI host creation is triggered by sending a login string to a sysfs
attribute ("add_target"). It wouldn't take much time to add a parameter
to that login string that specifies the NUMA node.

Bart.

  Last update: 2012-10-23 20:21    [W:0.048 / U:0.056 seconds]