SubjectRe: [GIT PULL 00/11] arm-soc changes
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> wrote:

> For each branch "next/foo", there is also a signed tag "foo" on the
> arm-soc git. Please pull whichever of these you prefer.

So I pulled the tags, because not only do I then get the signature,
but the merge message will automatically also end up containing your
notes that you put in the tags. Which is a nice feature worth pointing
out to people: when you send me pull-requests, you can add commentary
that actually gets saved in the tag.

So to give an example from Arnd's series, look at commit e8cbce976050
in the current -git tree (just pushed out, since I did the merges just
moments ago):

[torvalds@i5 linux]$ git show e8cbce976050
commit e8cbce976050a9f874a8b07012ddeb9b9eb59603
Merge: b3c37522928b 27fdb577435e
Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
Date: Mon Jan 9 14:40:48 2012 -0800

Merge tag 'timer' of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arm/arm-soc

timer changes for msm

A very simple series. We used to have more churn in the timer
area, so this is kept separate. Will probably put this into the
drivers series next time.

* tag 'timer' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arm/arm-soc:
msm: timer: Use clockevents_config_and_register()
msm: timer: Setup interrupt after registering clockevent
msm: timer: Remove SoC specific #ifdefs
msm: timer: Remove msm_clocks[] and simplify code
msm: timer: Fix ONESHOT mode interrupts
msm: timer: Use GPT for clockevents and DGT for clocksource
msm: timer: Cleanup #includes and #defines
msm: timer: Tighten #ifdef for local timer support

where those "timer changes for msm" and the comment about a simple
series were all from Arnd's tag.

Now, you don't *have* to do these kinds of descriptions, and I do end
up editing them if they look odd (eg Arnd saying "I" when the commit
then ends up being mine), but I wanted to point it out because some
submaintainers may end up enjoying the capability to add notes to the
merge to explain things better.

And Arnd, please do double-check that I didn't mess up any of the
(pretty trivial) merge conflicts..

Linus

  Last update: 2012-01-09 23:59    [W:0.208 / U:0.436 seconds]