SubjectRe: security_path hooks for xattr
On 01/26/2012 04:45 AM, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> Forwarding from an internal bug report:
>
> "AppArmor does not mediate the xattr system calls for confined processes.
>
> As a consequence, a confined process can cross the confinement privilege
> boundary by reading or writing to extended attributes that the confined
> task should not have access to. The restrictions for security and user
> attributes read and write still apply according to DAC; however, this
> does not comply with the claim of AppArmor to mediate fipe
> operations. The use of extended attributes is very flexible, so that the
> effect of a missing mediation can lead to false assumptions in
> subsequent policy decisions (eCryptfs)."
>
> AFAIU this boils down to missing security hooks in *xattr().
>
> Would it be possible to add these hooks?

right, this is something we lost when we moved to the security_path hooks and
while we have spent some time looking at the problem, we haven't addressed it
yet.

New hooks would certainly be the easiest solution. I looked at it back when
I initially did the port, and considered proposing new hooks at the time, but
for various reasons it was decided to separate that from the main apparmor
submission, and I haven't had a chance to revisit this since.

  Last update: 2012-01-26 22:59    [W:0.033 / U:0.372 seconds]